Back-to-School Read Aloud- Do Unto Otters

I'm excited to be doing my very first blog post! It is back-to-school time, and I thought I would showcase one of my favorite books to read aloud to students during the first week or two of school. The book is Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners by Laurie Keller.


I believe that a true education does not merely train the mind-- it must also train the heart. This book helps students think about and reflect on how they would like to be treated, and it encourages them to treat others, or "otters," in the same manner.

I particularly like the page spread that encourages children to be FRIENDLY by

1. Saying a cheerful hello,
2.  Showing a nice smile, and
3.  Making good eye contact.

I don't know how many times I have welcomed students into the classroom by giving a smile and a pleasant "Hello," only to have my greeting be returned with no response or direct eye contact! We as teachers have the obligation to teach students how to respond to greetings appropriately. Periodically reviewing elements of this book helps children respond in a friendly, polite, and considerate way to others.

Author Laurie Keller's website offers several printable activities that teachers can use with their students when reading this book.

post signature

No comments:

×